Monday, January 4, 2010

Birth Plans

Today, I finished the birth plan. The computer-generated plans on the internet are very helpful because they break down the major categories and touch on the bigger subjects.

Eating during labor? Yes, please!
Baby in room? Of course!
Episiotomy? Ow! Better be a really good reason.

Next came the endless tweaking of language. The doula wants me to be more "assertive" although her brand of assertive sounded pretty aggressive. I've got a good doctor, and his opinion and advice are important to me. I'd hate to see a birth plan stifle it. Mom (my labor coach) and I went through the items and changed all of the "I would likes" to "I prefer" or "I want." We'll review it with the doctor at my next appointment on Wednesday. Mom gets to meet the doctor for the first time too.

The Braxton-Hicks contractions made themselves known for the first time today. I'm nearly to 35 weeks, and I'm so eager to meet this baby. It makes it hard to focus on other details in life.

My next detail? Mom needs medical power of attorney and a living will. I hope we won't need them, but I want her to have what she will need if things don't go as planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment