Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wild Nights

Last night it rained and thundered starting at 2 am and didn't stop until early afternoon. A thunderstorm is a lovely thing. It is exciting and dramatic.

However, my dog seems to believe his life is in jeopardy when he sees the first flicker of lightening or hears a rumble of thunder. Some people have suggested locking him out of the bedroom, crating him or sending him outside. When he's super anxious like that, he will scratch up the door, escape the crate or eat the screen door off.

Since he's such a mild-mannered, delightful fellow the rest of the time, I coddle him. We go downstairs and watch a movie. That seems to drown out the flashes of lightening and muffle the thunder. Usually he will sleep as long a something is on the TV. It isn't restful at all, but it is better than no sleep. My sister laughs about this. She says it is great preparation for having a child.

This morning I dragged through getting ready for work and then got sick. I feel guilty for not going to work anyway, but after the storms subsided this afternoon, I slept a deep and dreamless sleep. It was wonderful.


No comments:

Post a Comment