Sunday, September 27, 2009

Tis the sneason

I love that my employer offers a flu shot at work. All that is required is showing up. I also have a history of getting sick right around that time. Just as the scheduled flu shot approached, my throat felt sore, a river of snot poured from my nose, and the coughing and hacking began. People have asked whether it was H1N1. Honestly, I don't know. I called my doctor's office. The nurse said to treat it with comfort measures. That meant Benedryl, Chloraseptic spray, and Tylenol. Three days later, I felt pretty good and got a flu shot.

One of the things that surprised me was what a difference the Tylenol made. I felt better soon after taking it, and I could tell when it was wearing off. I guess that those small, lingering pains really added up. It even makes me question whether I'll treat a cold differently when I'm not pregnant. I hope the H1N1 shot will be available at work, and I'm taking extra care to eat well, exercise and take my vitamins. Maybe I'll miss out on the pre-requisite illness with this shot.

One benefit of being sick was the opportunity to read Anna Quindlen's book Rise and Shine. Quindlen certainly knows how to tell a story, and I enjoyed it a great deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment